Monday, November 11, 2013

NEVER FORGET, REMEMBRANCE DAY 2013


Today is the 11th of November 2013,
Remembrance Day,
and I just wanted to do a little post to
pay my respects to all the
soldiers past and present who give up and risk
their lives to save ours.

I forgot to wear my poppy today,
like the idiot I am, but I drew one on my hand
and wrote 'Never Forget', because I think that phrase
is so strong and beautiful.

I think it's wonderful how we still have our
two minute silence every year, 
almost 100 years on from the first World War.
I like how we continue to pay our respects to those who have
died for us, fought for us, risked their lives for us,
although I do think we should stop to remember
these brave people more often.

To all those who died for us during the two
World Wars, I thank you for freeing our nation, for protecting
our nation, for bravely standing up to our enemies,
ensuring that all future generations grow up in a world free of
fighting and war and oppression. 
Thank you for risking and giving your lives for us, and
to all those back home who could only stand
by and watch, thank you for your strength and courage.

And to all those who died in the succeeding wars,
and to all those fighting now,
and who have done over the last ten years, I thank you
for your courage, strength, bravery and decision
to risk your lives every day to protect us all, your dedication to fighting for what is right.
It's easy to forget that whilst you're sat at home watching TV,
or in college or school in lesson, that someone
is out there fighting for you and risking their life
for you on a almost hourly basis.

Yesterday I saw an interview on TV with a woman
who lost her husband whilst he was on tour in Afghanistan.
He was the 415th soldier to die for the UK
since the war began, and I found it so hard to
watch her talk about it, because I can't even begin
to imagine the pain she has gone through,
and her strength for allowing her husband to
go out and live his dream,do the job he loved, despite her 
fear that he may never return.

I admire anyone who has a loved one who is
out on the front line now or who has been on the front line.
I admire anyone who has been brave enough to risk their lives
for our country, past present or future.
I admire anyone who fought and returned home
severely injured and traumatized, but manages to overcome
their obstacles and live their lives to the full.
They are incredibly inspiring.

Words cannot express how thankful I am,
how thankful we all are, 
and it's hard to find the right words to say,
words that do these brave people justice,
but once a year, we join together 
and pay our respects, united as one.
And although we may be united in silence,
it's a silence that speaks a thousand words.



<3 












No comments:

Post a Comment